Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Grim Fairy Tale

Dry Bones cartoon - A Grim Fairy TaleI always do my best to deliver a joke, but sometimes what seems called for is to paint a picture of the situation. Sometimes the important story is how we "feel". And that seemed to me to be the case here and now.

I built the script in a past tense. I wrote "the people had held their breath" instead of "the people held their breath". The "voice over" says that they "had waited" instead of that "they waited". This makes the 'toon a snapshot of this dramatic and traumatic moment in Israeli history ...And enables it to be used after the situation changes.

Which it will.

Be it for better or worse.

In the title I use the phrase Grim Fairy Tale, hoping that most will understand the pun on the Grimm Fairy Tales.

I drew the public in white robes. By not drawing arms I emphasized our passivity and helplessness in the face of medical developments. I based the Sharon drawing on the Disney depiction of the Sleeping Beauty and the Disney image of the helpless dwarfs watching the poisoned Snow White.

Sleeping Beauty
Sleeping Beauty

Snow White
Snow White